The car ferry service runs every half hour from 7.30am to 6pm then at 7:30pm, 8:00pm, 9:00pm, 10:00pm, Monday to Thursday and an additional service at 10:30pm on Friday and Saturday, with no service at 1pm for lunch, so you need to catch the 12.30pm or 1.30pm ferry.
On Sunday the car ferry runs every half hour from 11am - 1pm and 3pm - 6pm.
An additional passenger boat can be booked for 7.30pm and 10pm from Monday to Thursday, by phoning 01852 300382. This needs to be done before 12 noon on the day of travel.
Prices are £2.10 adult return, £1.25 child return and £8.55 for private vehicles up to 5 metres. There are discounts for 5 journeys and bikes travel for free.
Once you're on the island you can drive to Cullipool (see map below) or if you're on foot it's a 30 minute walk round the shore or cross country via the Trig point from Cuan to the Atlantic Islands Centre in Cullipool, or about an hour round the ferry road. Cycling is also a very good way to get about, and bikes can be hired from Sunnybrae Caravan Park at Cuan.
The Atlantic Islands Centre offers:
- Information area
- Two informative exhibitions (one local history, one Argyll islands), giving a home for the Luing History Group in the gallery
- A restaurant for refreshments and meals
- A gift shop, showcasing handcrafted goods
- A drop-in community hub for all sorts of activities
- A flexible-use exhibition, displays, workshops, events and function area
- Toilet facilities
AIC is owned by the Isle of Luing Community Trust